WhatsApp, the Facebook-owned messaging service has recently introduced new live location sharing feature. The Facebook-owned messaging service started to roll out this live location sharing feature across the globe. The Facebook-owned messaging service already gives you the option to share the current location to other users, but that’s a static, one time share. The key difference is live location sharing is that is dynamic and updates your location in real time.
The live location sharing feature can be used in individual chats or in groups. While sharing the location other users in the group will be able to see the rest of members below the map who have shared their live location. Multiple users can share their live location at once. The Facebook-owned messaging platform further notes that the live location sharing feature “is a simple and secure way to let people know where you are.”
Here’s how it works:
- Open the WhatsApp app and open the chat of the person you wish to share your location.
- Go to attach option and click ‘Location’ option. Make your phone GPS setting is enabled.
- Now there will be a map on top half of the screen, while the second half will show ‘Share live location option’ followed by nearest places option.
- In share live location users able to set time for how long to share live location with selected user. The minimum time is 15 min and maximum time is 8 hours.
- There also stop sharing option available, with this option user can stop live location sharing at any time.
How does it stack up against the competition?
WhatsApp live location sharing implemented similar to Telegram’s down to the choice of the three durations users need to pick from. The Facebook own Messenger service lets you choose locations with users real time, but it will share live location only for one hour at a time.
Apple’s iMessage lets share user location with other users for one hour, until the end of the day or indefinitely.
Google Maps- it is not a messaging service, is perhaps the app you are most likely to be using when driving up to meet someone added real time location sharing. Google maps users can share their location with others for anywhere between 1 hour or permanently though maps uses links to share users location.